Category Archives: NEWS

Asfandyar opposes treason charges against Musharraf

musharraf

ISLAMABAD: Awami National Party (ANP) chief, Asfandyar Wali Khan on Wednesday said that Pervez Musharraf should not be accused of high treason instead he should be tried for violating the Constitution.

In an interview with Hamid Mir on ‘Capital Talk,’ Khan said the case against the former military ruler should be initiated from his October 1999 coup instead of November 2007 emergency.

He also rejected interior minister’s claim that talks were underway with some Taliban groups. The ANP chief said that the federal and Khyber Pakhutunkhwa governments were confused over Taliban issue.

Advertisements

Ex-Musharraf allies, others criticize treason trial

Ex-Musharraf allies, others criticize treason trial
KARACHI: As Pervez Musharraf got exception to this rule on Thursday from showing before a unique judge set up to keep treason test against him for proclamation of urgent on Nov 3 2007, a variety of governmental figures brought up questions over the test of former army master under treason for Nov 3 urgent.
So far, management from the top governmental events such as the PPP, MQM, JUI-F and PML-Q have objected over the test, saying that the test should begin from Oct 1999.
Opposition Innovator in the Nationwide Set up Syed Khurshid Shah said that all those who reinforced Pervez Musharraf should also be attributed since penalties to an personal would not be appropriate for the globe.
Speaking to press, he said that Oct 12 falling of Nawaz- govt was larger criminal activity than Nov 3 proclamation of urgent.
Shah said that the test seemed to be a technique to provide a secure passing to a individuals such as most judges and generals who reinforced Musharraf after the ouster of Nawaz Sharif govt.
Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain and JUI-F’s Maulana Abdul Ghaffoor Haidri also known as on the govt to begin test from Oct, 12, 1999.

Slight improvement’ in Schumacher’s condition

‘Slight improvement’ in Schumacher’s condition

 

There has been a “slight improvement” in Michael Schumacher’s condition, a source close to the Formula One legend said on Monday, eight days after a skiing accident left him with life-threatening injuries.

Schumacher remains critical, but doctors say there are small signs of improvement and his loved-ones hope he will pull through, said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Syria rebels lay siege to Qaeda-linked jihadists

Syria-rebels-lay-siege-to-Qaeda-linked-jihadists1

DAMASCUS: Syrian rebels were resting stress Thursday to jihadists in their north stronghold of Raqa, as they fought an all-out unpleasant targeted at smashing the Al-Qaeda online they accuse of violations.
Raqa is the newest front side in a battle ugly pitting a wide coalition of a large number of moderates and Islamists compared to Chief executive Bashar al-Assad against the Al-Qaeda-linked Islamic Condition of Irak and the Levant (ISIL).
As the battling raged, the Nationwide Coalition re-elected Ahmad Jarba to cause the exiled resistance bloc, less than three several weeks before scheduled serenity speaks in Swiss.
The Syrian Observatory for Individual Privileges said the rebels fighting ISIL in Raqa also “released 50 Syrian prisoners” the Sunni extremists organised in another developing.
Raqa is the only provincial investment to have dropped out of program arms since the issue exploded when program competitors took up arms following a weakling attack by Assad´s causes on democracy demonstrations in Goal 2011.
But it soon dropped into the hold of ISIL, which is said to be having a large number of criminals in their now surrounded Raqa head office, among them competing rebels, activists and reporters — such as People.
“The people from other countries are being organised in other structures, outside Raqa town,” said the Observatory, a Britain-based team that paths the issue.
But Turkish photographer Bunyamin Aygun, kidnapped in Dec in Syria, was published Weekend amongst the battling.
Monday´s unpleasant in Raqa came after three highly effective insurgent alliances on Saturday launched what they known as a second “revolution” against ISIS in the north region of Aleppo and Idlib to its western.

Top al Qaeda militant dies

Top al Qaeda militant dies

A top al-Qaeda militant who was arrested in Lebanon last month has died in custody, according to the Lebanese army. Majid al-Majid, a Saudi, was wanted both by his own country and the United States.

Majid al-Majid “died this morning while undergoing treatment at the central military hospital after his health deteriorated,” the army said in a statement released on Saturday.

The statement gave no details of the cause of death. But a Lebanese army general, speaking on conditions of anonymity, earlier told the AP news agency that al-Majid had died of kidney failure.

The militant was believed to have serious kidney problems that required dialysis, and his arrest last month reportedly came while he was in an ambulance after undergoing the treatment in a Beirut hospital. He was held at an undisclosed location after being captured.

Al-Majid, the purported commander of the al Qaeda-linked Sunni group Abdullah Azzam Brigades, was one of the 85 most-wanted individuals in his native Saudi Arabia, and also sought by the United States on terrorism charges.

The Abdullah Azzam Brigades, named after a close associate of the late al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, claimed responsibility for a November 19 double suicide attack on the Iranian embassy in the southern suburbs of the Lebanese capital, Beirut (an image taken after the bombing is pictured above). Twenty-three people died and dozens were wounded in the attack, which the Brigades said was to pressure the Iranian-backed Hezbollah movement to pull its fighters out of Syria.

The Brigades have also claimed responsibility for other attacks throughout the region, including the 2010 bombing of a Japaneses oil tanker in the Persian Gulf.

Al-Majid’s indentity was confirmed only on Friday, following a DNA test.

The US State Department had declared his group a foreign terrorist organization in 2012, freezing assets it holds in the US.

We will die but won’t give Sindh: Bilawal

We will die but won’t give Sindh: Bilawal

 

KARACHI: “We will die but won’t give Sindh to [others], Bilawal Bhutto Zardari posted a massage on Twitter shortly after MQM chief Altaf Hussain said a separate province should be constituted in Sindh for Urdu speaking community to address their woes.

The firebrand PPP chief also responded to his critics and said “If my tweets freak you out so much wait and see what I can do from Parliament”.

India building collapse kills 7; dozens trapped

India building collapse kills 7; dozens trapped

 

PANAJI: A five-story building under construction in the southern Indian state of Goa collapsed on Saturday, killing at least seven workers and leaving dozens more feared trapped under the rubble, police said.

Authorities were trying to determine how many people were at the construction site when the structure crumpled in Canacona, a city about 70 kilometers (44 miles) from the state capital of Panaji, Police Superintendent Shekhar Prabhudessai said.

Witnesses said about 40 workers were at the site.”It was like an earthquake when the building fell,” witness Ramesh Naik said.

“You could not see what exactly had happened because of the dust.”Police and residents pulled seven bodies from the wreckage, while firefighters and rescue workers were sifting through the debris for survivors.

Ambulances took at least three seriously injured workers to a hospital for treatment.

Prabhudessai said the cause of the collapse had not been determined. Building collapses are common in India, as massive demand for housing and lax regulations often encourage builders to cut corners by using substandard materials or add unauthorized extra floors.

Paul Walker was speeding at over 100mph at time of crash

Paul-Walker-

Paul Walker was travelling at over 100 miles per hour when the car he was in crashed.
‘The Fast and the Furious’ star died alongside his friend, Roger Rodas – who was driving – when their Porsche crashed and burst into flames in Santa Clarita, California on November 30.
A new report from the Los Angeles County Coroner released today (03.01.14) notes Roger was driving at an ‘unsafe speed’ on the road – which has a designated limit of 45 miles per hour – and lost control of the car ‘for unknown reasons’.
After the car crashed into a tree and a lamp post ‘the vehicle was almost split in half … the majority of the vehicle was also charred’ by the fire which followed.
The report also states neither Roger, 38, nor Paul, 40, had alcohol, cocaine, marijuana or other impairing drugs in their systems.
It has previously been found Paul died from a combination of traumatic and thermal injuries. The report also said the actor had been in a ‘pugilistic’ stance at the time of the crash, meaning he had braced for impact.
The resulting fire caused by the smash was so powerful only remnants of the clothing Paul was wearing at the time were intact.
Paul was laid to rest at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Los Angeles on December 14.
Still hurting from the loss of his friend, Paul’s ‘The Fast and the Furious’ co-star, Vin Diesel, posted a new tribute alongside a photo of them together on Facebook yesterday (02.01.14).
He wrote: ‘There was always moments of child-like laughter… We had accomplished so much by 2013… P.S. The complexities of Brotherhood, and the painful void… of it’s absence.’

Facebook faces suit for data mining ‘private’ messages

Facebook-faces-suit-for-data-mining-private-messages

Facebook has been hit with a class-action lawsuit alleging the social networking behemoth gleans data from purportedly private messages, in violation of users’ rights.

Two plaintiffs claim the site scans private correspondence between users for links to third-party websites, sharing that information with the likes of “advertisers, marketers and other data aggregators.”

The suit accuses Facebook of violating the Electronic Communications Privacy Act and California privacy laws.

Facebook has “systematically violated consumers’ privacy by reading its users’ personal, private Facebook messages without their consent,” said the complaint, filed December 30 in the US District Court for Northern California.

“Representing to users that the content of Facebook messages is ‘private’ creates an especially profitable opportunity for Facebook, because users who believe they are communicating on a service free from surveillance are likely to reveal facts about themselves that they would not reveal had they known the content was being monitored,” it said.

The suit was brought forth by two Facebook users from different US states, Matthew Campbell of Arkansas and Michael Hurley of Oregon.

It was filed on behalf of all US Facebook members who have used the site to send or receive a message that includes a link.

“Facebook scanned plaintiffs’ messages and searched the website identified in the URL for purposes including but not limited to data mining and user profiling,” the suit said.

According to the suit, Facebook earned $2.7 billion from targeted advertising sales in 2011.

The suit also said that while Facebook hides the extent of its data mining from users, it is clear on the subject in its technical guidance for web developers.

The case is similar to a lawsuit against Google, which is accused of violating user privacy by scanning the contents of Gmail messages.

Facebook has faced a slew of complaints and court actions on privacy, and last year settled a class action suit over the use of user names and images in so-called “sponsored stories.”

A study by the Pew Research Center released earlier this week revealed that Facebook is the preferred social network in America, used by 71 percent of online adults, or 57 percent of all American adults.

 

Vin Diesel struggling with Paul Walker’s death

fk6k87ge

Vin Diesel is still mourning the loss of Paul Walker.
‘The Fast and the Furious’ star has admitted he is struggling to cope with the ‘painful void’ since his ‘brother’ died alongside his friend, Roger Rodas, when their car crashed and burst into flames in Santa Clarita, California on November 30.
The 46-year-old actor posted a picture of himself laughing with his late co-star while on a press tour for their latest film from the franchise on Facebook on Thursday (02.01.14), with the caption: ‘There was always moments of child-like laughter… We had accomplished so much by 2013… P.s. The complexities of Brotherhood, and the painful void… of it’s absence.’
Vin revealed late last month that ‘Fast Furious 7,’ which he began filming alongside Paul in September, will be released on April 10, 2015, even though they were on a break from shooting when the star passed away.
He posted a photo of them on Facebook on December 22 with the caption: ‘The last scene we filmed together…There was a unique sense of completion, of pride we shared… in the film we were now completing… the magic captured… and, in just how far we’ve come… ‘Fast and Furious 7′ will be released…April 10th 2015! P.s. He’d want you to know first.’

%d bloggers like this: