Category Archives: Featured Recipes
This is what you will need
- 1 liter Milk
- 1 medium can of condensed milk or left over 2-3 Barfee Pieces
- 4-5 slices Bread pieces
- 2-3 Cardamom
- 2-3 Strands of Saffron for color or yellow food color
- Almond and Pistachio to garnish on top
Lets get cooking…
Cut bread pieces in half (diagonally)
Pour 2 tbsp of oil in a flat pan. Fry bread pieces till they are golden brown from both sides. They should be uniformly golden color. Take them out and put aside. Bread becomes crispy.
Boil milk in a wide mouth pot and add one medium can of condensed milk. If you don’t have condensed milk, add 3 pieces of Barfee.
Add crushed green cardamom to milk. Let it simmer till the milk has thickened and reduced almost 3/4 of initial quantity.
You should taste the milk to check the sweetness level. If you like desserts very sweet you might want to add sugar.
Now carefully dip the fried bread pieces into the milk. Let it simmer for 5 minutes or till the bread pieces have soaked milk well.
Take the bread pieces out carefully and put them in a flat serving dish which is 2-3 inch in height from the edges (as seen in picture).
Take 3-4 strands of Saffron and put them in the remaining milk.You can use a pinch of yellow food color too.
The milk should be 1/4th of liter by now. If not let it simmer more.
Now pour the thickened milk on top of the bread pieces.
Garnish with nuts.
Put it in fridge and let it cool down well before you serve.
- Boneless chicken breast – Half per burger
- Black pepper 1 tsp
- Salt 1tsp
- Red chilli ¼ tsp
- Ajinomoto 1.5 tsp
- Worcestershire sauce 2tbsp (if available) else Soya sauce ½ tsp
- Oil for frying
- Flour 2 tsp
- Baking powder ¼ tsp
- Cornflour 2 tbsp
- Egg 1
- Rice flour 2 tbsp
- Corn flakes 1 cup
- Breadcrumbs 1 cup
- Halved Buns (One per burger)
- Lettuce leaves (One per burger)
- Mayonnaise (As rquired)
- Cheese slice (One per burger)
Zinger – Instructions
Mix all of the spices and Worcestershire sauce and keep them in a bowl. Take another bowl and mix salt, black pepper, flour, baking powder, corn flour, egg and rice flour. Take a third bowl and mix bread crumbs and corn flakes in it. Now roll the boneless chicken breast in the bowl of spices and ensure its heavy coating. Then dip it in the paste prepared in the second bowl. Remember that we added salt in the second bowl to make sure that the coating it not left pallid (pheeka). Once done roll it into the third bowl and ensure whole coating of bread crumbs and corn flakes. Again dip in in the second bowl of paste and then again roll it in the third bowl. Repeat this step for the third time if you want more thick overall coating. Deep fry the now coated chicken until golden brown. Its color would automatically make you realize that its ready to eat.
Apply mayonnaise on both sides of the bun and place lettuce leaf on one side. Place the fried chicken over it, apply mayonnaise over it and top it with a cheese slice. Cover it up with rest half of the bun. Press a little from above so that the bun holds the ingredients intact. Since the traditional Zinger only has a fried chicken that’s why I kept it simple. If you want you can add onions, tomatoes and jalapenos as ingredients of the burger. Enjoy!!
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
By Kate Aquillano
When most people get a sweets craving, they picture desserts covered in chocolate or caramel. Yes, those things do work, but there are some other options. These pineapple and apricot empanadas are the perfect combination of sweet and savory. Do not be intimidated by the amount of ingredients or steps. The empanadas are easy to make and actually really fun. And for an alternative, mix and match different fillings.
Pineapple & Apricot Empanadas
1 C Whole-Wheat Pastry Flour
1/2 C Cornmeal
1/4 C Granulated Sugar
1 1/2 t Baking Powder
1/2 t Salt
2 T Reduced Fat Cream Cheese
2 T Low-Fat Milk
1 1/2 C Chopped Fresh Pineapple
1/3 C Apricot Preserves
2 T Plain Dry Breadcrumbs
1/4 t Ground Cinnamon
2 T Canola Oil.
Whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add cream cheese (cut into pieces) and oil. Then blend with your hands. Add milk to the mixture and knead in the bowl until the dough begins to form. Place the dough on a well floured surface and continue to knead. Once the dough comes together, wrap it in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Bake this too: Healthy Cookie Recipe!
Combine the chopped pineapple and apricot preserves in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat stirring continuously. Remove from heat and stir in the breadcrumbs and cinnamon.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and coat a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
On a well floured surface, roll out the dough until it is 1/8 inches thick. Cut circles of the dough using a cookie cutter. Place a spoonful of the filling at the center of each circle. Fold in half and press the edges together with a fork. Continue until all the dough is used. Bake the empanaditas for 12-15 minutes.
Have you made your ginger bread cookies yet! Hurry this is a very easy recipe.
125g butter, softened
1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar
1/2 cup (125ml) golden syrup
1 egg yolk
2 1/2 cups (375g) plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 cups (230g) pure icing sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 eggwhite, lightly whisked
Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
Use an electric mixer to beat the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add egg yolk and beat until just combined. Sift over the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves; use a wooden spoon to stir to combine. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth.
Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to 3mm thick. Use 5cm snowflake and star pastry cutters to cut out shapes from dough. Place on the prepared trays
Bake in preheated oven, swapping trays halfway through cooking, for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and set aside on the trays to cool.
To make the royal icing,
Sift the icing sugar into a small bowl. Add the lemon juice and enough of the eggwhite to form a firm paste. Place in a piping bag fitted with a 1mm nozzle. Pipe royal icing onto the gingerbread biscuits. Set aside for 1 hour to set. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
There are two tricks to get the best tempuras- one is to prepare a very light batter and second is to create temperature difference between the battered prawns and the oil in which they are fried. This temperature difference makes a really good crispy tempura.Keep the batter cold and you will have the best tempuras ever!
- Prawns 10. Deveined and with just the tail intact. (Marinate on Soya Sauce for 1 hour for flavor)
- 1 cup oil for frying
- ¼ cup Flour to sprinkle on prawns.
- For Batter:
- ½ cup Flour
- ¼ tsp Soda
- 1 cup Iced Water
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- ½ tsp salt and black pepper as seasoning
- Sift flour and soda in a bowl
- Add egg and mix lightly with flour.
- Slowly add ice water and mix. Don’t make the batter into a smooth paste. Add more water if the batter is thick-it should be slightly runny.
- You can also add ice cubes in the batter to keep the temperature of the batter really low or place batter over a bowl of ice to ensure that the temperature doesn’t increase.
- Add ½ cup oil in a pan. Heat oil to a medium-high temperature.
- Lightly sprinkle some flour over all the prawns.
- Take one prawn by its tail and dip it into the batter. Coat it well.
- Now place the batter coated prawns in the hot oil.
- Fry till both sides turn golden brown.
- Spoon them out on a paper towel.
For the dough
- 1 cup flour (maida)
- 1 tbsp oil (i used ghee)
- 1 tbsp Yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Soda
Sift 1 cup flour in a bowl, add all the above ingredients. Rub the oil and yogurt with the flour. Add water by table spoon till there is no dry flour left. You will need around 2-3 tbsp. Knead the dough well for about 2-3 minutes. Let the dough rest (preferably for 1-2 hours) and meanwhile start making the filling.
For the filling
- 1/4 kg Chicken Minced (You can also take chicken boneless pieces and chop it finely in a chopper)
- 2 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 1 tbsp Ginger/ Garlic Paste
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
Add 1 tbsp oil in a pan/ wok. When oil is medium hot add ginger garlic paste. Now add minced chicken and the rest of the ingredients. Cook the chicken till its thoroughly cooked. Set aside in a bowl.
Lets get rolling
Take dough and divide it into 4-6 portions. Now take one portion, round it and roll it with a pin. Roll it enough so its thin.
Now fill the center with chicken filling leaving space on outer ring of the rolled dough.
Take all the ends and join them on the center (top of the filling).
Make the rest of the Kachori’s the same way.
Deep fry them (or medium deep fry) them till all sides turn light golden color. Serve them hot!
- 1 Tomatoe- chop them finely removing the seeds
- 2 Hard boiled eggs. sliced thinly in round shape.
- 2 Cheese slices
- Cucumber slices (optional)
- Mint leaves for decoration
- Bread- fresh from Bakery (don’t use stale bread)
- Take a glass with a round mouth. Place it on a slice of bread upside down and twist to cut out a round portion off the bread.
- Cut 8 slices of bread in same way
- Now on each slice spread around 1 tsp mayonnaise, place a small piece of cheese, top it with a slice of boiled egg, diced tomatoes, and top it with mint leave.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Ingredients For Kebabs
- ½ kg minced red meat
- 1 bunch flat Parsely – finely chopped (dont substitute with coriander)
- 8-10 Mint leaves
- ½ medium sized onion very finely chopped
- 2 tsp Zatar Powder
- 1 Egg white (lightly whisked)
- Pinch of Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Rice flour (You can just grind 2 tbsp rice and use that)
- 1 tsp Wheat flour
- 3 tsp Bread crumbs
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1tsp Salt
*Its recommended to fry a sample kebab and test the flavors and adjust all the spices accordingly*
For Tomato Puree
- 3-4 ripped tomatoes chopped finely
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Parsely – chopped
- Black Pepper
- Toasted pine nuts
- Add all the ingredients for kebab and mix them well with your hand.
- Now take a ball of meat, roll it in your hands into small rolls.
- Make rolls out of the whole material.
- Take a pan with olive oil for frying. Place it on medium heat.
- Now fry the kebabs till color changes and are cooked through. It should take 3-4 minutes.
- Take a pan and add olive oil.
- On medium heat add the chopped tomatoes, parsley, seasoning and let it cook.
- You can also blend the tomatoes to a thick consistency.
- Cook till oil is separated from the tomatoes.
- Add 8-10 pieces of roasted pine nuts and mix well.
Serve the Kebabs on bed of tomato puree. Garnish it with pine nuts and parsley.
Ingredients for Doughnuts
– 1/2 cup luke warm water
– 1 packet dry Instant yeast + 1 teaspoon sugar
– 1 Cup + 1 & 1/2 cup Flour (ie total 2 n 1/2 cups flour)
– 1/4 cup butter
– 1/4 cup castor Sugar. (Castor sugar is just normal grounded sugar)
– 1 egg
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– Oil for Frying
Ingredients for Chocolate Topping
– 2 Tablespoons Butter
– 3 Teaspoons full cocoa powder.
– 6 teaspoons Castor sugar (u can add more to suit ur palate)
-1/4 cup water
– 1/4 cup milk
– 1/2 cup cream
- Combine yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in luke warm water and let stand for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sift and stir in 1 cup flour.
- Cover this spongy dough n let it rise about 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Now in a separate bowl beat butter untill soft and gradually add & beat 1/4 cup castor sugar untill light n creamy.
- Beat egg into the butter sugar mixture.
- Add salt
- Now add this mixture into the Spongy dough n mix with a spatula.
- Sift and f old the 1 n half cups of flour into the mixture.
- Knead the dough till its no longer sticky.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rise for about 2 hours or untill almost double in bulk.
- Take the dough and divide it into two portions. Now roll 1 portion with a pin till its about 1/4 inch width. take a cutter n cut it into small rounded circles, take a small cutter n cut the centre of these circles. Make all the doughnuts like this
- Put them aside for half hour. Now make the chocolate topping.
Method for Chocolate topping:
In a saucepan melt butter on very low flame, add cocoa powder and mix it, while constant stirring on low flame add sugar and water. Mix it well making sure no granules left, and add milk while constantly stirring on flame, now add cream and continue stirring and cooking it on low flame till the chocolate is dark in color with a thick consistency.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to hot.
- Fry the doughnuts in medium flame till golden brown from both sides.
- As soon as you take the doughnuts out of fryer dip it in hot chocolate dipp n serve.
These charry, lip-smacking smoked chicken skewers will not only tantalise your taste buds but will also bag the praise of your loved ones. They are moist and zesty and they will definitely fire up your palate!
Chicken (karahi cut) 1.5 kg
Oil 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
Dry round red chillies 6-7 (crush in mortar and add 1 tsp of water to make a thick paste)
Chaat masala 2-3 tbsp
Ginger and garlic paste 2 tbsp
Lemon juice 3 tbsp
Coal 2 medium-sized pieces
Marinate chicken pieces in ginger and garlic paste, spices, lemon juice and oil for one day. Add the marinated chicken to a wok and cover it with a lid. Cook on low flame and wait until the chicken is soft (should take 30-40 minutes). If the chicken is soft but watery, uncover the lid and cook on high flame until the water evaporates and the oil is visible. Next, put the chicken pieces on skewers.
Heat coal until red. Put chicken skewers in the wok and place a slice of bread with coal on them. Pour one teaspoon of oil on the hot coal and cover the wok with a lid. Remove the lid after 15 minutes. Enjoy quick and easy smoked chicken skewers!
Arooj Waqar runs a Facebook cooking page called Mona’s Kitchen and aspires to convert her passion for cooking into a career.